First installation on empty HDD's. Steps??

Re: First installation on empty HDD's. Steps??

Postby fvdw » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:11 pm

furthermore, you can also install the firmware via the option write firmware imag to disk
as you load fvdw-sl-programs, just choose option 1 in the menu that appears (Install fvdw-sl firmware on a hard disk)

In fact the action install firmware and write firmware image to disk doe the same only the help text in the main fvdw-sl console window is diferent.

Be sure that you select msdos as partition table as your 2big1 cannot read disk wth a gpt partititon table. Be aware that you then are limited to use max 2 TB disks
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby thekarmola » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:55 pm

fvdw wrote:furthermore, you can also install the firmware via the option write firmware imag to disk
as you load fvdw-sl-programs, just choose option 1 in the menu that appears (Install fvdw-sl firmware on a hard disk)

In fact the action install firmware and write firmware image to disk doe the same only the help text in the main fvdw-sl console window is diferent.

Be sure that you select msdos as partition table as your 2big1 cannot read disk wth a gpt partititon table. Be aware that you then are limited to use max 2 TB disks

I did exactly what you describe on this post and the post before but no luck. Formatted as MBR and by asking of that 2 questions about GPT choosed NO. :( I want to fix my Lacie box. I don't get any warning with no luck or something it came at the end reboot your nas and rebooted my nas via reboot -f. After reboot i start up i hear the harddisk is working and some activity on the LAN and the front led blank (no red or blue nothing)
thekarmola

Postby thekarmola » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:38 pm

thekarmola wrote:
fvdw wrote:furthermore, you can also install the firmware via the option write firmware imag to disk

I did exactly what you describe on this post and the post before but no luck. Formatted as MBR and by asking of that 2 questions about GPT choosed NO. :( I want to fix my Lacie box. I don't get any warning with no luck or something it came at the end reboot your nas and rebooted my nas via reboot -f. After reboot i start up i hear the harddisk is working and some activity on the LAN and the front led blank (no red or blue nothing)

YESSSS it works now, i did set static ip on my PC and scan and now find the 2big and changed to the correct ip and now have access to the NAS and logged on via webpage. Thank you so much for your help. Problem solved!!! Lets now try to config my NAS in webpage and see how it works, stability etc.. I want also add a second DISK and maybe not to configure is Raid but as a second HDD. Can this be a different Size then what it is installed on the first disk?
thekarmola

Postby thekarmola » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:27 am

Some questions about the functionality;

1. When i click on user management it says please wait but nothing come up. I want to create users.
2. When i click on Samba 4 and disable samba 1 and click on accept, it came back to samba 3 and will not change.
3. There is an user called Dummy. What is it and can i disable that?
4. The webinterface feedback when i click somewhere is slowly. Where can i see the use of resources? By system information i see only info and the data usage.
thekarmola

Postby fvdw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 am

glad to hear you get it working ;)
about extra disk, you can add it and use disk setup menu to initialize it

About these questions

thekarmola wrote:Some questions about the functionality;

1. When i click on user management it says please wait but nothing come up. I want to create users.
2. When i click on Samba 4 and disable samba 1 and click on accept, it came back to samba 3 and will not change.
4. The webinterface feedback when i click somewhere is slowly. Where can i see the use of resources? By system information i see only info and the data usage.

ad1. A list of user should pop up when you select user account from leftside menu and a button to create users. Click on that to add a user. I have never seen the problem you describe. Which browser are you using ?
PS in question 3 you mention there is a user called dummy, so you seem to be able to list the users in user account

ad 2. To use samba 3 and 4 you need to install it. Samba 4 is an addon, to be able to install it you need to become a donator and add your plugout credentilas in system Magement >setup firmware interface tab

ad 3. In user account window click on the user dummy and choose delte button in window that appears

ad 4. The 2big1 has a cpu with limited power which determines reaction speed, you can improve it by increase memory size the web server may use (system management>setup web server tab)
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby thekarmola » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:28 am

fvdw wrote:glad to hear you get it working ;)
about extra disk, you can add it and use disk setup menu to initialize it

About these questions

thekarmola wrote:Some questions about the functionality;

ad1. A list of user should pop up when you select user account from leftside menu and a button to create users. Click on that to add a user. I have never seen the problem you describe. Which browser are you using ?
PS in question 3 you mention there is a user called dummy, so you seem to be able to list the users in user account

ad 2. To use samba 3 and 4 you need to install it. Samba 4 is an addon, to be able to install it you need to become a donator and add your plugout credentilas in system Magement >setup firmware interface tab

ad 3. In user account window click on the user dummy and choose delte button in window that appears

ad 4. The 2big1 has a cpu with limited power which determines reaction speed, you can improve it by increase memory size the web server may use (system management>setup web server tab)

Dummy user i see it by system information and by system management user account - user console access, I dont have any delete button.
By Users Management the page will not load and i dont see any list of users or a delete button. it says executing, please wait... but nothing come up.
By user console access I see only dummy user.
thekarmola

Postby fvdw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 am

Which firmware version are you using?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:49 am

If it is not 18-2 I suggest to upgrade
See https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3129
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby Jocko » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:54 am

Hi
thekarmola wrote: I want also add a second DISK and maybe not to configure is Raid but as a second HDD. Can this be a different Size then what it is installed on the first disk?
Yes the 2d disk size may be different but please to note the raid1 size will be the smaller size of your disks.

@fvdw
As he installed the firmware with some issues I assume that somewhere there is a miss configuration maybe some permissions on sda5 are missing.
I checked the browser (he uses Chrome 79.0.3945.88, the latest version) and I do not have issue when I load the user account menu if I use Chrome after cleaning the cache. So it is not an issue on the browser.
Jocko
Site Admin - expert

Postby fvdw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:05 am

If firmare has some corrupt files then upgrading may help, unless it is caused by bad sectors on the disk
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

PreviousNext

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs1