First installation on empty HDD's. Steps??

First installation on empty HDD's. Steps??

Postby thekarmola » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Hello Guys,

I am new on this forum and have some easy questions.

What are exactly the steps to begin?

I have Lacie 2big network2 with empty HDD's. (it have not a USB connection, only network connection)

1. Do i need to connect via Telnet and install Uboot, what is it?
2. After that which firmware can i install as firstly? 16 or 17 or first install the 16 and then after that upgrade to 17 or 18?
3. Which files do need to download to flash the Lacie?
Last edited by thekarmola on Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekarmola

Re: First installation on empty HDD's. Steps??

Postby fvdw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:42 pm

You could use the fvdw-sl console

https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3086
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby thekarmola » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:44 pm

fvdw wrote:You could use the fvdw-sl console

https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3086

Do need to attach also the second HDD on lacie before flash?
thekarmola

Postby fvdw » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:03 pm

The firmware runs from disk, there will be no flash to flash memory, the stock uboot version in flash memory is sufficient to load the firmware.
Read the guide of the fvdw-sl console for details on install process. For install of the firmware you must only install on disk in mist lefthand side slot seen from the back of the device.
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby thekarmola » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Do i Need to do set my Lan ip to static and which ip adress must be that to connect with telnet?

Do i need to install from the menu first kernel insall and then UIimage firmware install?
thekarmola

Postby fvdw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:11 pm

No no need to set static ip. The telnet client will connect automatically using an ip address send by the nas.
So leave everything default and you are ready to go.
Please read this topic before making an attempt https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2645
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby thekarmola » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:18 pm

fvdw wrote:No no need to set static ip. The telnet client will connect automatically using an ip address send by the nas.
So leave everything default and you are ready to go.
Please read this topic before making an attempt https://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2645

The problem is when i start the Lacie it don't receive any IP address from my DHCP router. (That's right because my Lacie have no Firmware installed, HDD's are empty...) I am stuck on this step pls help :?

- When i start fvdw assistant it can't find any device..
- My laptop is connected to the router via Lan cable.
- Lacie is connected to the router via Lan cable.
thekarmola

Postby fvdw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:26 pm

1. First poweroff your lacie nas

2. On your pc start the fvdw-sl console, leave everything default

3 in the fvdw-sl console choose install firmware

4. Choose the correct standalone kernel when asked (you need the kirkwood standalone kernel)

5. When the command window with "waiting for uboot..." appears power on your lacie nas.

6. The console will detect boot and interuot it and upload the standalone kernel and after that start the telnet client.(it will wait 15 sec or so before doing that).

Please read help text in the fvdw-sl main window for next steps after telnet window appears

Also the help pages in help dropdown menu are helpfull...
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Postby thekarmola » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:15 pm

fvdw wrote:1. First poweroff your lacie nas

2. On your pc start the fvdw-sl console, leave everything default

3 in the fvdw-sl console choose install firmware

4. Choose the correct standalone kernel when asked (you need the kirkwood standalone kernel)

5. When the command window with "waiting for uboot..." appears power on your lacie nas.

6. The console will detect boot and interuot it and upload the standalone kernel and after that start the telnet client.(it will wait 15 sec or so before doing that).

Please read help text in the fvdw-sl main window for next steps after telnet window appears

Also the help pages in help dropdown menu are helpfull...

Thank you, i have followed now your steps and installed image to the Lacie, BUT;

1. From the console install fimrware will not work and can't connect via terminal.
2. Tried to write image to disk from the console and successfully formatted drive with MSDOS not the GPT. Reboted Lacie but i can't find it on my network, tried Assistant but nothing :(
(On the first chose from the console i have chose UIMAGE-26394-2BIG1-47-1-1-4-standalone ) and via de terminal Kirkwood big2

At the first chose via the console UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-171-standalone i can;t connect via the terminal..

What is wrong here?
thekarmola

Postby fvdw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 pm

1. From the console install fimrware will not work and can't connect via terminal.
2. Tried to write image to disk from the console and successfully formatted drive with MSDOS not the GPT. Reboted Lacie but i can't find it on my network, tried Assistant but nothing :(
(On the first chose from the console i have chose UIMAGE-26394-2BIG1-47-1-1-4-standalone ) and via de terminal Kirkwood big2

At the first chose via the console UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-171-standalone i can;t connect via the terminal..

What is wrong here?

I don't understand what you are doing.

What kind of machine do you have ? a lacie 2big-vs2 or 2big-vs1. You mention before it is a vs2, in that case you must use as said the
UIMAGE-3142-KIRKWOOD-171-standalone kernel when it is a vs1 then indeed you need the UIMAGE-26394-2BIG1-47-1-1-4-standalone

On the first chose from the console i have chose UIMAGE-26394-2BIG1-47-1-1-4-standalone ) and via de terminal Kirkwood big2

what do you mean with "via the terminal" ? Is this after you have logged in with telnet using username : root and password: giveit2me ?
Where you able to login with telnet client using the UIMAGE-26394-2BIG1-47-1-1-4-standalone ?
fvdw
Site Admin - expert

Next

Return to Lacie 2Big Network vs1